Woman, 23, left with half a skull after bridge jump making incredible recovery

Woman, 23, left with half a skull after bridge jump making incredible recovery

A student was left with half a skull after she attempted to end her life by jumping off a bridge over a dual carriageway near Hull last year.

Kayleigh Moore, 23, was found by a passing motorist who initially thought she was a piece of rolled up carpet in the road

The young student had already attempted to take her own life multiple times before April 17 last year but has since made a remarkable recovery in a battle to turn her life around.

Her father, a police officer, was on shift that night and was responding to the motorist’s 999 call when a colleague who arrived first called in and asked for him to be diverted and informed, after recognising the victim was his daughter Kayleigh.

She was rushed to Hull Royal Infirmary where a trauma team in Resus worked on her, while the news was also broken to Kayleigh’s mother, an ICU nurse, who was also on shift that night.

For the next fortnight it was touch-and-go, with Kayleigh suffering from extensive trauma injuries, from swelling and a bleed on the brain which led to a stroke – and she broke several ribs, bones in her face, her ankle, foot, and wrist.

Kayleigh underwent two emergency brain surgeries to relieve the pressure on her brain, and surgeons performed a craniectomy – removal of a part of her skull.

Her distraught parents were allowed at her bedside, despite Covid restrictions, as doctors had warned them that Kayleigh might not survive.

However, after two weeks she started to wake up. It was the start of a long recovery which is now, 14 months later, nearing its end.

Kayleigh, who was studying nursing at Hull University, said she felt ‘lonely’ from a young age and endured difficulties at school which she attributes to the start of her mental health battle.

“From a young age I was bullied quite badly, I was followed home from school and beaten up, and I was an introvert, so I was coming home from school and I was always alone,” she said.

“After school I went to Bishop Burton College where I made some friends but they all lived far away from me. It wasn’t until I got to Hull University that I made friends and thought everything was going the right way.”

However, Kayleigh dropped out of university at the start of her third year in October 2019, as her mental health took a sharp decline.

She was under the university’s mental health team, who she credits with being “amazing, and always there for me” and she was also under the NHS community mental health team.

Over the next three months she was in and out of the Avondale mental health inpatient unit, voluntarily at her own request as she feared for her own safety, but she was always discharged after a short stay.

She was also taken by ambulance to Hull Royal Infirmary “five or six times” after further attempts to take her own life.

But recalling the night she jumped off the bridge, between Hedon and Paull, she says: “I don’t remember most of it because of the trauma. I know the day before I had been to see the mental health team, and I said I was struggling.

“I reached out to two friends and they said all of a sudden I just stopped replying to texts.

“I posted the word ‘sorry’ on my social media, and I have kept that post as a reminder of how far I’ve come.

“I also recorded a video saying ‘sorry’ and then I jumped.”

In incredibly candid posts shared on her public Instagram account _kayleighlauren Kayleigh shows how her recovery was painful, as she had to learn to walk again, with the help of physiotherapy.

In October last year she had a cranioplasty, which involved creating a metal plate to replace the part of her skull that was missing, and she embraced fabulous long wigs after having her head shaved for the operation.

“Half my head is now metal,” said Kayleigh.

She is currently applying to be allowed back to university in September to resume her third year of nursing studies, and is awaiting approval from occupational health and her surgeon that she’s well enough to return.

“I am more determined to become a nurse now than ever before. I think what I’ve been through will make me a better nurse too,” she said.

“I wish it had never happened, obviously, because it was very traumatic for me and my family. But I also think if it hadn’t happened, I wouldn’t realise what a fighter I am, and what I’m worth, and I know that now.”